Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Leaving

I was glad to leave Ireland exactly as I found it over the precious four
months: Warm, accomidating, and enjoying a drink

I finally finished a book Kate gave me right before I left, "Round Ireland with a fridge." It was very fitting to finish it as I am finishing my time in Ireland. With less than three weeks left, and one of those being spent in Italy, me and Rose have been reflecting on our time here. The book is about a Man who was bet that he couldnt travel around Ireland with a fridge in under a month. It was very good and all about the journey through Ireland and the things he learned along the way. I started reading it on the plane ride here and I finished it last night. It's quite poignet for a funny book, and I think it ment so much to me becuase I can see the similarities in my own adventure here.

I had learned not to worry; to make choices and allow things to happen. For the most part they turned out to be good, and when they weren't - like the hostel from hell - they were character building. There weren't any wrong or right paths to choose, just different ones, and where they led was governed by the attitude towards them.

As much as I have said I have wanted to come home and been upset about missing things happening without me, I would never trade this experience. I learned so many things about the world and life while I was here. This was the first time I ever lived completly on my own. I was so far away from everything I knew and was familiar with. Though Ireland speaks the same language it is a different place then the states, and I have grown to appreciate it. This passage of time has been long and short. At times it felt like it was flying and other moments it seemed to drag on. But the most shocking thing, as big as it is to say now, "I lived in Ireland for 4 months", later in life 4 months will seem like nothing. I just hope I will be able to appreciate it then. I wouldn't give up this opportunity for anything. It's been hard at times but overall it has been amazing. And as much as I am excited to come home, I can't believe it's almost over. I probably won't be able to post again until after Italy, like the 11th or 12th or something but I miss you guys so much.

I was leaving Ireland. The affair was over, but the friendship was just beginning.

Slán agat

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm glad my book turned out to be such a good gift, and that you have enjoyed and appreciate your experience in Ireland so much. I knew you would ;)

love you