Monday, February 19, 2007

Spain = one of the prettiest places...EVER

So I know you guys have been dying for ages and ages for an update, and you shall not be disappointed. This one will be long. Very long...so brace yourself.

So Spain, we left Thursday morning on a bus to the Shannon airport and then boarded the plane to fly to Madrid. The flight was very small and cramped, because its Ryan Air but conisdering it only cost €0.01 you cant really complain. The flight was so pretty though, we flew over the Pyrenees (Pam-- I was just imaging Lance riding up and down them!) I took some pictures, I'll put those up at some point. So we land in Madrid, and get off the plane onto the tarmak, I always love doing that I feel like a movie star. Anyways so we step off and it was warm. See for me this is a huge deal becuase Ireland is cold and rainy and gross, and Spain was warm sunny and beautiful!

So we board the subway to take us into downtown and it was crowded and noisey but overall very clean, much better than the broad street line in philly. So we get out of teh subway and come onto a huge street with lots of peopel and buildings and gorgeousness. It was dark as well, so it was all the more prettier. So we walk to our hostel, which was basically downtown, for anyone who knows Madrid or wants to look it up, we were right off of Plaza Mayor, in 'Cats Hostel'. I also think this part of Madrid was the Fabric district or something becuase there were fabric shops everywhere(this made me think of you Klaz).

So we get to our hostel. It was absolutly beautiful. It used to be a Spanish Palace, and is know protected by the spanish government. There are pictures on facebook or the yahoo site. We get situated and then we head out to experience the spanish night life, that goes on till 5 in the am. Crazy I know. The spanish get on average an hour less sleep then the rest of europe. First we went to Buger King, for dinner, silly I know but we were going to go out later, for Tapas(i'll get to those). It was pretty interesting trying to order Hamburgers in spanish, and another interesing fact...you can get beer at a fast food place! How nuts? Anyways so we walk to the Plaza Mayor a big square in the center of the city that was sooo pretty. Funny thing was we passed a Chicago Hot Dog place, and people stopped to eat it was pretty wierd...hot dogs in spain? doesnt seem to fit. So we get to the plaza and walk around and such, and meet up with my roomie Rose's friend who is studying abroad there. She was so nice and gave us a little tour and such and took us out for Tapas and Sangria.

So we get to the bar and she orders us a bunch of food and drinks for us all to try. Tapas are the spanish version of hors'devours. We got croquettas, which are deep fried cheese and jamon and potato. So good omgoodness I cannot even express how delicious it was. We also got this really good bread stuff that had tomatoes, jamon, and cheese on top that was all melted together. Jamon is salt cured ham that isnt cooked but is oooo so tasty. We also had Sangria. Which is a red wine alcohol concotion that was absolutly delicious. I dont even know whats in it, but it was amazing.

Next we continued the food tour of Spain and went to get Churros con Chocolate. Which is basically hot hersehys syrup, this is what they call hot chocolate, and then you dip Churros in it and eat. O My it was absolutly amazing delcious glorious. It was so tasty and amazing I cant even explain. I want some right now. I might go back to Spain at some point during this trip just to get more. Anyways after the deliciousness we went back to our hostel to go to bed, becuase we were super tired and wanted to get up early the next day to see the sights.

Ok so the next morning comes we wake up shower, get out free breakfest from the hostel and go out exploring. We never really went anywhere specific, just kinda walked around and saw what Madrid had to offer. We did however got the Prado, the big spanish art museum. And i saw my favorite paining, Las Meninas. I was soooo excited. It was beautiful and everything to me to actually get to see it. Then we went to the Royal palace. So pretty and huge. Geeze makes the White house look like a hut. So we took lots of pictures there and then layed in the little park area in front of it becuase it was warm and we wanted tan faces so cool. We also foun Botanical Gardens, everything was dead cuz its winter, but it was still pretty. We did find some flowers though.

We also got lunch at little place. I got an empenada. Which is some kinda of fried sandwich thing. I know it had meat and onions in it, other than that I don't really know. but it was tasty. And of course we had sangria. O yea and we got ice cream. Not as good as irish ice cream but still tasty. From there we just walked around and then went to a bar. And since we are loser americans/irish kids, we went to a place called the Dubliners. Becuase we really wanted people who spoke english and such. Lame I know but we were tired and just wanted a beer and some food. So we got nachos and chicken fingers and beer. Or cerveza. Which is spanish for beer. And for me I alway think cerveza is my last name becuase it look so similar. But anyways the beer was good, and cheap. It cost the same as 1 beer in ireland for 3 in spain! My kinda country! So anyways after that we went to catch the bus. Becuase we decided to take an overnight bus from Madrid to Barcelona.

LONGEST most uncomfortable bus ride ever. Omgoodness kill me now I think I got like 3 hours of sleep. But I cant complain I was in spain for goodness sake. So we get to Barcelona and find out hostel so we can check our bags and drop of our stuff. We go in check in to a beautiful hostel, with a marbel staircase, with free delicious breakfest. Yummy so good. Kiwi's, cereal, yogurt, muffins and juice. Delicious and even better because it was free! Anyways so we leave and then tour barcelona. We saw La Sagrada Familia. A huge church started in the 1880's and still not done. Its crazy big. Just look at the pictures. Its going to have 18 bell towers when its finally done, probably not for another 200 years but thats the plan. Then we saw the Spanish Cathedral and the triumphent arch. And then we tried to find the Mediterrean Sea.

So in the pouring rain, we try and find the sea. Becuase well we are in spain and we are going to see it gosh darnet. Even if we are soaked from head to toe. So we start walking, probably for about an 1 and we go in a circle. A big circle, when it should have only taken 1/2 hour to get to the sea. SO nuts! But anyways we finally get there in the pouring rain and darkness and take pictures by it. I didnt even get a chance to put my toes in becuse we were on a pier. Boo! So not cool, but i'll get another chance in greece, italy and croatia. It was pretty I just wish it weren't raining. Then we walked down La Rambla a big rambling street with alot of shops and such back to the hostel. Where we found some irish people and drank with them till we decided it was bedtime, becuase we had to get up at 5 the next morning to catch a bus to the airport to get our flight home.

So we get to the airport. And it was foggy. Like couldnt see my feet foggy. All of the flights were getting canceled. And then for some reason it all cleared up and we got to leave. One flight left before us and then us. It was amazing. I slept on the plane so it was nice and short.

So basically it was amazing trip. So much fun, history, adeventure in such a small amount of time. I hope Scotland can live up to this.

Anyways off for now! Miss everyone!!!

Slán agat

4 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds utterly amazing. Next year you're going to have to pick your favorite picture from each of the places you've been to and we'll frame them and hang them in the living room or a hallway or something.

I think I'm living vicariously through you.

Pam said...

can we please go see the tour de france one day, please? please?

Unknown said...

LIZ!!! I finally made a blog... now i can talk to you more often!!

<3
your kindred spirit

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can phrase that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the fall publication of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=motormax grandville ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you partake of the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I have a week and do necheg